The Western Cape Department of Cultural Affairs and Sport (DCAS) has announced it has established the Western Cape Provincial Sport & Recreation Relief Fund.
This fund will provide financial relief to qualifying sport federations and recreational entities that have been hit hard by the lockdown pronounced by the government as a result of the Covid-19 virus.
The deadline for applications is 19 May 2020 at 16:00.
Sport and recreation support
An important aspect of providing financial assistance is ensuring that there are objective criteria in place to evaluate and confirm the following:
- Confirmation of the financial impact per sport federation, structure, recreation entity
- Validation of any loss that is being claimed
- Use of previous events to quantify loss of income
- Proof that sport federations and recreation entities were earning an income and are now out-of-pocket
- All sport federations are to be in good standing with the Western Cape Provincial Sport Confederation
- Evidence that athletes who were confirmed to participate at events that have now been cancelled or postponed due to COVID-19, and whose income is generated solely by participation in that event. These events may include major road races and events where the athlete may be eligible for an appearance fee
- Coaches and technical support personnel who work with athletes whose sporting events have been cancelled or postponed due to COVID-19, and make their earnings solely from these events. Evidence of earnings must be provided
- Athletes on the Department’s High Performance Programme and/or who are preparing for the 2021 Olympics and Paralympics and are hopefuls for team South Africa selection for those and other major international championships and events. These athletes must not be on SASCOC’s OPEX Programme as specific criteria will be set here.